Letter from the stolen generation

Place yourself in the shoes of a stolen child. Write a short letter from Nanna Nungala Fejo (in the mission) to her mother.


Dear Mum

I MISS YOU SO MUCH!! I unbelievably miss you, Amaroo, Tirranna, Balun, Leewana, Mayrah and everyone in our family! It hurts so much… I feel so empty and depressed without you, our family and the bush camp. I try to comfort Rungali peto but her tears don’t stop like the flowing river near our camp and I’m afraid I’m not much of a help as I feel the same way. I can hear my cousins cry out in despair, with broken hearts and empty souls. We all cry out to our ancestors’ for help and think of our families’ endlessly. The white people from the mission try their best but no one and no place will fill in for you, our tribe and our land. It has been many suns but none of us feel better, our love for our community does not die, but grows. Grows steadily, unnoticeably like a tree. You can hear the pain in our hearts searing, many attempts to find their family. Soon, very soon, I will go find you and our tribe. I hear whispers of doubt and uncertainty but I will find you, it is unbearable to be separated from our land; It feels like half of myself is missing. I look forward to the day we meet again, I will find you!

May the Ancestors bless us and help us to reunite
Nanna Nungala Fejo
1 Response
  1. Lorrie!! Says:

    That is so sad. You made me cry!